It’s the mango season and that’s all I can think of. And that ain’t wrong..is it? After salads, drink, mug cake, muffin, ice cream, it’s time for rice. Yeah ! MANGO RICE ! 🙂
Well.. this rice is different from the usual varieties of rice. The tangy flavour of raw mango makes it a delight. A summer delight..!
Mango Rice Recipe-
Preparation Time- 15 minutes
Cooking Time- 10 minutes
150 gms basmati rice (soaked, rinsed and boiled)
1¼ cup raw mango, grated
½ tsp turmeric powder
1½ tsp mustard seeds
3 red chillies
4 tbsp fresh coconut, grated
1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
1 tbsp bengal gram spilt and skinned (chana daal), rinsed
1 Red Chilli, halved
4 tbsp raw peanuts
1 tsp Mustard seeds
7-8 curry leaves
3 tbsp Oil
1. Cook the rice and spread on a platter to cool. Set aside.
2. For the masala: put mustard seeds, asafoetida powder, red chillies, turmeric powder, and grated coconut in a food processor. Add half of the grated raw mango. Blend them into a fine paste. Add 2-3 tsp of water if needed. Set aside.
3. For tempering, heat up the oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan. Add mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the peanuts. Then add chana daal, red chilli, and curry leaves.
4. Once the daal is golden, add the remaining grated mango.
5. Sauté for a few minutes over medium heat, until the mango is cooked.
6. Now add the masala.
7. Cook until the raw smell disappears. Remove from heat and set aside.
8. When the rice is cool, add salt to taste.
9. Stir in the masala. Mix until well blended. Garnish with a sprig of fresh coriander.
10. Serve hot with curd or fresh mint chutney.