It’s summer..uh oh…noo… it’s mango season. Well..at least that’s how I define it. It’s such a luscious fruit and can be used in variety of dishes—cakes, cupcakes, breads, drinks, salads, ice creams, desserts—oh, what can’t be done with this gorgeous fruit?!
Here’s another summer delight ….umm rather a summer mango delight. It’s a salad that will make you forget the definition of the boring salad !
The first thing that I make with mangoes every year is THIS salad and the reason is plain and simple.. this salad is loved by the entire family.
Not a spinach fan? All the more reason to try this salad. Mango makes it all worth it !
1 cup mango cubes
1 cup cubes of cottage cheese
1 cup roughly chopped spinach leaves
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tbsp finely chopped tomato
2 tbsp finely chopped capsicum
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp chaat masala (for the tangy flavour)
½ tsp garam masala (blend of ground spices)
½ tsp bhuna jeera (ground cumin seeds)
Red chili powder-to taste
- Mix all the main ingredients (other than spinach). Refrigerate it till the time of serving.
- Add spinach and then pour the dressing. Give it a gentle toss.
- Garnish with grated cottage cheese. Serve chilled.
- The best way to roughly chop the spinach is to place few leaves on top of each other and roll them. Then chop them using either a knife or kitchen scissors. This will give long, fine and evenly strings of the leaves.
- The quantity of the cottage cheese may be reduced and substituted with mango cubes, to increase the mango flavour in the salad.
- Onions and mango sound odd together? It sounded odd to me too, the first time I heard it. But all my doubts were removed with the first bite itself.
- Not a spinach fan? All the more reason to make this salad. Mango makes it worth it !
- It is best to de-seed the tomatoes before chopping.
- Reduce the quantity of spinach if you’re not a die-hard fan (I know not everyone is). It won’t alter the great taste that the salad has.
- All mangoes work well in this salad, but it is better to have mangoes that are ripe, yet firm enough to be nicely diced. I have used two varieties of mangoes together..and you can see that in the image itself. Love…love mangoes!